Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Blah...

"I cannot go to school today. Said little Peggy Ann McKay. I have the measles and the mumps. A gash, a rash, and purple bumps."


-"Sick" by Shel Silverstein

Definitely one of my favorite poems still. And definitely true for little me today. I wish I didn't have to go to school tomorrow. I am so congested and foggy. I got hit with a cold and I so do not like it. I'm so bad at being sick too. I'm whiny and dramatic like little Peggy Ann McKay and I don't care who knows it.

Sad thing for me is that my poem does not end in it being Saturday and me going out to play. It doesn't even end with me not going to school. Because the real truth is that as a teacher it is far easier to go to school than it is to call in sick. Teaching isn't a job that you just "call in sick." You have to write sub plans which depending on the sub means that you basically need to script out your entire day so that your class still learns something- hopefully. You also need to include as much as you can about your students so that the class behaves well. You need to get your copies all ready. All of this with a head that feels like a watermelon is on it? I don't think so.

Here's hoping this is gone by Saturday.


5 comments:

  1. Weird. I was totally thinking about that poem while I got ready for work today, and I don't even know why! Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I hope its gone by Saturday!!! Mexican food?? Hello! Jk Get feeling better friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. story of my MOM'S life! i do not envy you! at least not for being a teacher and never getting to call in sick. but mostly i do not envy you because i am not good with the young'ns. :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh gotta love Shel Silverstein. I'm sorry you are sick my friend! Hopefully you feel better and the little 4th graders are nice to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Except Peggy Ann was totally faking it.

    ReplyDelete