Friday, April 25, 2014

Shields in Chi Town 2014

If you didn't know, we REALLY love visiting Chicago. Proof HERE , HERE, and HERE. It's such an awesome city and we love any excuse to see the Walkers so that's always the cherry on top for us.  This time was no exception.  Michael had meetings so he was there most of the week.  Adelaide and I joined him on Thursday.  It was our first time having to pay for her plane ticket.  That hurt but I think she loved the space.




He picked us up from the airport and hustled us off to the ballpark.  Baseball, hot dogs, great seats, Chicago skyline, and my family- excellent combination!  Phoenix is climbing into the 90s so it was nice to be chilled again!



The next day, we joined forces with the Walkers and headed to a friend of theirs' home outside of the city.  She was kind enough to watch all three of our kids so that the four of us could go to the Chicago Temple together.  It was so wonderful to be able to be in such a sacred place with family members.



 
^This pic was taken later, but we had to get a group shot.

That night, Christi and I stayed up WAY too late and snuck out to see "Divergent." She introduced me to the series so we thought it was only fitting that we see the film together in the actual city the story takes place.  That part was cool.  The movie we both have our own individual resentments but we are glad we went. (In our jammies)




Saturday morning we went to the top of the Willis Tower (aka Sears tower) and enjoyed the remarkable view and juggling a couple cranky kids. Then we hustled out to the ballpark to enjoy the AMAZING weather by watching a baseball game together.  Laila got a little nap (in my arms) but, boy howdy, it was not long enough.  She woke up with a tantrum that had a force like I've never seen from her before.  It was like she has stored up her crankiness from her whole life and let it out that day.  It nearly broke my heart.  When she calmed down, the rest of the day was great.  Luckily, that experience didn't ruin the whole game.  (The crazy drunk people beating up on each other right in front of us after the game didn't ruin it either.)






^Channeling her inner Dauntless

That night, we saved the best for last and enjoyed every bite of our Giordano's.  YUM! Then the Walkers had to head back home.  I hate good byes.


The next morning, we head out for some more fun adventures around the city.  We always enjoy seeing "The Bean."  Laila LOVED chasing the birds around.  It was pretty hilarious.  Then we had lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe. Laila fell asleep in her stroller in time for us to walk around the city and see a few shops.









We then took the train to the airport so we could hop on the shuttle to our hotel.  Our flight was at 5 AM the next morning so we made sure to get a hotel close to the airport and tried to get some sleep for our extremely LONG Monday!

^This girl loves her train rides!

As luck would have it, a huge snow storm hit Chicago as soon as we left.  We are glad we had beautiful weather and another incredibly fun experience in an amazing city!




8 comments:

  1. I love the pic of Laila on the plane eating her snack! So cute. I'm proud of her for being able to just fall asleep pretty much anywhere... I'm still waiting for Henry to do that. Did you like the movie Divergent? I'm still not so sure about it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie left out most of my favorite one liners from the book. There were multiple things that drove me crazy but I thought the actors did a good job. Compared to the book it wasn't great. Have you read the series?

      Delete
  2. How could a face that sweet have a major meltdown?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what we thought too. We didn't even know what to do because it doesn't happen often.

      Delete
  3. Ok, next time I want to come. I'll even watch all the kids for you while I'm there.
    Also, apparently I read the book too long ago because I thought they did a decent job sticking to the story, but my brother was convinced that him and the screenwriter didn't even read the same book. Where is my memory?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the general gist was there but I made the mistake of reading the books in February so all my favorite lines were still in my memory. And they all got cut.

      Delete
  4. All I am thinking about in this post is how much I miss Laila--except for the tantrum stuff. You can handle it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you did take the subway to the airport? How fun! I never heard what you decided to do for that. I hate goodbyes too, I was so bummed. That Laila Tantrum goes down in the books, we should've recorded it for her wedding day! Classic!

    ReplyDelete