Sunday, March 6, 2011

What's in a name?

Well, a couple of weeks ago, Michael was coming home from some meetings. He saw a dog wandering around a neighbors yard and stopped to get the dog so it wouldn't go out in the streets. The neighbors weren't home so he brought the dog to our house. Then when he took the dog to the neighbors, it ended up not being their dog. So, what's he supposed to do? Just let it go back to wandering the streets?

We took her around our block looking for her owners. (We have met more neighbors these past couple of weeks than we have since we moved in.) She brings people together! We posted on craigslist and put up signs. However, no one has claimed her yet. We are definitely dog people, but I didn't wanted to get one while I was working because of potty training, loneliness etc. When I came home and saw this dog, I was VERY worried. 1st because she is a pit bull. I've never wanted a bigger dog because of how big their turds are. 2nd she is a SHE. I've only ever had boy dogs so girl dogs are unfamiliar and kind of gross me out. Is that weird/ironic? 3rd I value my sleep and a dog barking all night is not ok with me.

I have to say, this dog is one of the sweetest dogs ever. She never jumps up on people. She is potty trained. And when she does have turds they are on our grass around the edges so she's not dropping land mines everywhere. The only time I have ever heard her bark is when my family came. She was in the bedroom with Michael and it was really really late. When she heard other voices in the house, she barked. And it was a bark that would make any burglar need to change their pants. I have to admit, I was impressed. I guess there was another time she barked when it was, again, really late at night. Every one was asleep including Will out on the couch. He was talking in his sleep and when she heard a voice, she barked. She's a guard dog!


We had neighbors over for dinner one night and they brought their little boys. It was so funny to see her reaction to kids. Because she is eye level with most of them she immediately started licking their faces and the boys would just push her away and say, "Stop dog!" The 2 yr old would say, "Come get me puppy!" and run down the hall with her chasing him. He was giggling like crazy and that kept him entertained for about 5 mins. Then later, he (the 2 yr old) was crawling around on all fours barking and the puppy would follow him and kind of push him over with her paw. It was hilarious- until he bonked his head on the tile. Then he wasn't too happy with the game. But, the puppy's good with kids!


So, for now, we have a puppy. We've been trying to find a name for her. I liked Ugly Betty. My family liked Sweetie. My neighbor girls thought Brown Eyes works. We used Delilah and Back-Up. Michael likes Shenolk, Oksana, Devushka, and Sabaka. Yeah, those are Russian names. We'll see what fits. Any suggestions? Votes?


PS Her floppy ears are definitely my favorite part about her.

10 comments:

  1. SWEETIE haha i like that... it's funny for a pit bull. so you gonna keep her until the owners come around? IF the owners come around?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a student this year named Deija (like dejah-voo). I think it would make a fun pet name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So now we are to the point of naming her eh? Love it. She really is a sweet puppy. Very well mannered. I like the name "Ginger"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is adorable! And you are hilarious, love the burglar and land mine parts. made me laugh :) I like "Ugg Bug" I was trying to think of a way to shorten your Ugly Betty and liked bug instead.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regina George. Hands down the best name for the dog. She can be really nice but if you threaten her, she's a meanie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is a PUPPY?! She is huge. I guess that's what you get with a pit bull. I'm glad she's not a scary pit bull. I'm not much help with names... I think Ugly Betty is cute if you just called her Betty (she might get sad being called ugly all the time). Delilah is cute and Regina would be funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So it's been a few weeks and still no owners?! I think dog names have to be one to two syllables and no longer. I wonder where she came from...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you guys have just "adopted" this dog. What a lucky duck to have the two of you looking out for her. I like Shenolk and Back-Up, however not so feminine. I like Deija too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What are you trying to do to me?!?! Seriously... you've heard Joseph's obsession with pit bulls? And now his excuse is "The Shields have one! Didn't you read all that NICE stuff they wrote about it??" Oh dear... I think we'll be coming to visit soon so Joseph can play with your new addition. :) Really though we need to get together SOON. We live in the same state- only 40 minutes apart. Let's plan something!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you posted about YOUR cute dog. I vote Back-Up!!!

    ReplyDelete