Wednesday, July 7, 2010

God Bless the USA...but maybe not the DMV

We had a low key 4th of July. I loved that it was on a Sunday so there was no sure time that people celebrated. Some things were Saturday night. We saw fireworks from our house Sunday night and no work for Michael on Monday. It turned into a whole weekend. No complaints here. We had our "2nd annual grill off" with the Andersons on Monday. Delightful and Delicious. We played at the pool and had a great day with them. Sorry for no pictures...yet.

Yesterday, I enjoyed an ENTIRE afternoon at the DMV.
That's right, I stood in line to get my number to be helped. I received my J622 number at noon. Actually found a seat (there weren't many that were unoccupied and standing room was limited as well) and there I sat for two and a half hours. Waiting for numbers that were close to mine. I got there when they were on J607. I'm telling you- I experienced every emotion there is out there in that seat. I got there excited to get our new car registered and my license. Surprised to see so many people. Anxious because I don't really like spending time in government buildings- although the people watching is awesome. Relaxed to find a seat. My emotions keep going like this until they get to ones like confusion because I haven't heard any J's called for awhile. Frustration as I watched windows close with only a few left opened to help. Fury as I see other people get their number called. There was a moment where I almost cried, but I contained myself because I didn't want to be the weird girl that's crying at the DMV. I was truly terrified that after all the waiting, I would get up to the counter and they would say I didn't have everything I needed and send me away. I'm glad I stuck it out because the lady was pretty nice to me and we got everything done and now I don't have to go back. So I don't really mean the title of this post. No blessings should be withheld from the DMV. I'm just glad I don't have to go back there any time soon.

3 comments:

  1. I think I would have cried if I had to sit there for 2.5 hours! So what new car did you get!! Pictures please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's like Vegas. Once I had to renew my license. I got there at 8 am because I had to be somewhere at 1. At noon they weren't anywhere near my number so I gave it to a friend I ran into and came back later. Then I was there from like 8 to 2. Kill me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds a little too much with my experience at the Social Security Office to get my name changed. Same mixture of emotions (including the entertainment of people watching.) I think next time I have to go to a government builing, I'm taking sudoku or something...

    ReplyDelete