Saturday, July 16, 2011

Summer Reading Lists

What kind of teacher would I be if I didn't do some reading during my summer vacation? Luckily, I have had some phenomenal reads...

Including refalling in love with this classic...

"Pride & Prejudice" is definitely timeless. I can read (and watch the BBC version) again and again and I still anxiously wait for Darcy & Elizabeth and Bingley & Jane to fall in love. Not to mention Austen's clever wit that makes everything still connectable to our time.

I also read...


This book had an intriguing plot, however I was disappointed with the "worldly" things that were unnecessarily thrown into the book. That's why I usually only read kids books. I'll bet the movie is good though since it won't be as detailed as the book.

Next came one of my new favorites...


I CANNOT wait for this movie to come out. I had heard about this book awhile ago, but because of my anti-adult literature mind, I didn't start it until now. And just like many characters in the book, I did not know what I was missing! It is such a good book. I absolutely LOVED, loved it. In case you didn't catch that, there are TWO Loved(s). Unlike the rest of these books, I didn't read, "The Help" on my kindle because I was hesitant to buy it, but I'm probably going to purchase it just so I can read it again and again! (Thanks for letting me borrow it, Jenni!)

Next came this sea breeze...


"Turtle in Paradise" is written by one of my all time favorite authors. There are not many literary works that have made me fall in love as much as Holm's "Boston Jane" trilogy. SO GREAT! Although "Turtle in Paradise" didn't have a love story, it was still a breath of fresh air from the Florida Keys. I started and finished while I was waiting for my car to be fixed. The back window wasn't rolling up and in the az heat- that no work. So it was definitely delightful to take a trip to the beach with the Conches while I was waiting.

Today I read...

"We're lucky some people are so full of goodness."

My wonderful, librarian mother told me to read "Turtle" and she has been asking me daily if I had finished "Because of Mr. Terupt." Today, I could tell her that I had. It was a quick read, but boy was I bawling! This one will definitely pull the heart strings of any teacher or anyone who has had a good teacher or anyone who has seen the genuine innocence of a child. It definitely helped me get my teacher engines going again. Just a few more weeks...

Have you read any of these? What's next? I need some suggestions....please.

9 comments:

  1. OOO! I'm excited to go and check out some of these books! If you want to know what I've been reading, I did a post on it recently on my blog. I've been reading quite a bit of non-fiction, but I have found some really interesting books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't even heard of most of them, but I will go to the library site and reserve some of them (if possible). I've read some of the "free" kindle downloads. Some of them aren't bad for an afternoon break. I usually stick to the top 10, and then only if they have about 4 to 5 stars. The top 10 does change quite regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like The Help is quite popular, I'm number 112 on the hold list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting about those books. Ever since seeing the movie trailer for The Help I've been wanting to read it. I love having time to read now. you need to join Good Reads and add me as a friend so we can share good books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also LOVED The Help! I bought that one and I'm glad because I'm sure I will read it again. I read Water For Elephants and I also was turned off by some of the language and "sexual" stuff. However, the movie was much better because it left most of that stuff out. I want to read because of mr. terrupt, sounds cute! I'm reading Flipped right now. Have you read The Glass Castle or Half Broke Horses by Jeanette Walls. They are good reads, I really liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished The Help this week too! So good! I'll have to look into some of the other ones on your list-- I've been looking for a new book to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Boston Jane I miss you. So so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane Austen rocks.. I love all of her books.
    I recommend "The Book Thief". I love this book and cried with it, but I'm super glad I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen! I too have stepped out of my comfort zone and read some more "adult fiction" and been severely dissappointed. But I am just starting the Help! I am excited. I do think that I will go back to the young adult/kid shelves, though. Books that I've read this summer and reccommend:
    -The Mortal Instruments Trilogy (Book 1 is City of Bones)
    -Graceling
    -The Warrior Heir (this is the first book, the other 2 in the trilogy are also very good!)
    -Matched
    -The Ranger's Apprentice Series
    -any book by Richard Peck

    ReplyDelete