Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Tis the season...

...to bake! I have to admit publicly that I really love the awesome goodies people can create over the holidays. My taste buds have not been disappointed this year. I wish I had some of the amazing creativity and patience and talent some folks have for their Christmas treats. But for now, I will stick to tradition.


These loaves take quite awhile to be finished. They aren't fancy schmancy and I don't wrap them in any adorable wrapping. But, I must admit I love the smell that fills up my house when those are in the oven. I love that I hand made them. And ultimately, I love that I got the recipe from the VERY worn 3x5 card of my mom's who got it from my grandma who got it from her mom. Talk about a family recipe!

Growing up, I was constantly walking over to my neighbors' houses to deliver my mom's freshly baked bread. This is my third year delivering my hot-out-of-the-oven-bread to our neighbors. I don't know why but this year's batches have not been the most gorgeous. I'm seriously having a fight with my yeast. Because of the ugly loaves that I've had to deliver, I called my mom in frustration. She reviewed my recipe gave me some tips. The second batch was better but still not out of control fluffy like I'm used to. She said call grandma. So I did. The whole conversation I kept thinking, man, I'm sure glad I have my grandma that I can call and ask her for advice. She sure is an amazing, sassy lady. I'm not going to lie, she and my grandpa are definitely one of our favorite couples to double with.

Moral of the story.... I love this time of year. I love traditions. And I love that I have so many amazing examples in my life.

1 comment:

  1. There's nothing better than warm homemade bread. You are so domestic! You want to know what I did for home teaching/vistiting teaching people? Candy trail mix...mix together some nuts, add some chocolate and that was that! (Not too creative, but at least I did something.)

    ReplyDelete