Thursday, September 10, 2009

...where buffalo roam...


This past weekend we went out to Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake. Michael had never been there. Being from Utah, I knew what awaited me- the smell of the salt water with all the brine shrimp and lots & lots of bugs. But I still went. We actually had some fun. It's amazing to see how much it has changed just from my Elementary School Field Trips. The water level has gone down a lot and to get to the water from the parking lot has become quite the hike! The smell wasn't as strong as I remembered, but the bug factor was definitely still there.

We went with a friend of Michael's from work, Marcus, and his wife Erica. They were so fun!

We all took our bikes and we rode around the island for a bit. (7 Miles- I am quite proud and not as sore as I thought I would be.) While we were riding, Michael would be in front of me and I would see at least 20 big flies and other insects on the back of his shirt. It creeped me out and as I would help swat them off, I kept wondering how many were on my back. *shudder!*


It was a fun ride though because there was little traffic (if you don't count the bugs, grasshoppers, and the few antelope & bison) and the view to the beautiful Wasatch Front from the island's perspective was really amazing!

After bike rides came a nice picnic lunch that included my mom's unbeatable homemade salsa. Yum! Then it was off to the beach. Again, being from Utah, I knew what awaited me- the salt water that will literally burn your flesh if you have any type of cut or wound and the MILLIONS of gnats. Michael was so excited to get in the water and float. (It is pretty fascinating.) So he and the Hardy's went out into the water. I enjoyed the walking on the sand/ wading in the water part. There was a good size crowd and it really looked like we were at the beach. People were in bikinis and yes, there were a few older gentlemen in speedos enjoying the lake that day as well. It was funny to see sun bathers putting sun tan lotion on. I just kept wondering how many gnats were getting stuck on their oily bodies. Seriously, the beach is so crazy because you will take a step and what looks like a cloud of dust or sand will come off the sand. Only it's not a cloud of dust, it's the gnats. Here are a few hundred that took a fancy to Michael's shoe: (Look closely!)

I really just love long weekends- especially, when there are so many adventures to be had!

5 comments:

  1. Hi! This was such a fun trip! I'm proud of you for riding 7 miles....even if you girls didn't make it up the big hill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riding bikes around The Great Salt Lake sounds fun, swimming in the water does not! I don't remember the last time I went to Antelope island. I do however remember Clark's story of the last time he was there on a school field trip... basically he decided it would be funny to "moon" the Great Salt Lake, and his teacher did not find it funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're in utah now! we can now hang out finally :) unless you've already left me again! so you like the wedding pics? i'm sad you couldn't be there i think i would have peed/pood my pants if you had shown up. p.s. i've been wanting to go to antelope island for literally years now. i remember going on field trips there in elementary and loving it - i'd probably go now and just think it's a dump..... jk. so anyway - let's get together and have some fun miken-style! don't worry - it's still good clean fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Careful!...Last year we road our bikes out to the island, and I found out I was pregnant that night. After the 6 or whatever mile bike ride back. I couldn't figure out why I kept throwing up, thought it must have been the heat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woa there! I'm definitely not pregnant!

    ReplyDelete