Monday, July 6, 2009

4th of July

I love the 4th of July! It's a picturesque holiday! I love the patriotism, the parades, the fireworks, the picnics and barbeques. It's a sign summer is really here and it always reminds me of how proud I am to be an American.

This year was no exception. A little different than the traditional, but we still had fun in AZ. we decided on a great low key day that started with a GREAT picnic/bbq at our pool with the Andersons. (Sad I missed the Kaysville Parade. Nothing's better.) We had to take a picture in our best red, white, and blue outfit contribution. Of course we took a very flattering picture where one of us didn't want to pose for a picture and the other one of us was telling the first to smile with his teeth. Therefore it came out like this:

Ok so it was a bad moment to capture. Not exactly Kodak. My stubborn side didn't have this retaken for a happier us. (I know, I need to work on the peace maker thing.) But the stubborn side didn't stop me taking some pics of our fun 4th of July food.

What's more American than Pink Lemonade and checkered table cloths:


Festive Pasta Salad (Not my Mom's perfect kind but still yummy) :


My picture taking stopped before our yummy steaks were off the grill and before the potato salad, chips and watermelon. Trust me though, it was all good.

Despite the grumpy picture, we really did have a great day with some great eats, great friends and a lot of sun. So much, in fact, that we both were way tired and fell asleep. We didn't wake up until middle of fireworks. So lame. How old are we anyway? I guess it was a good thing though because a lot of cities down here cancelled their fireworks to save money in this economy. Therefore I heard the ones that did have fireworks were way crowded. We stayed in our wonderful air conditioned apartment and watched a movie. (Still very American- even if we missed fireworks.)

I still love this holiday. I'm proud to be an American and I'm grateful for the sacrificies and the people that defend this country and keep it free. (Especially family members and friends.) I still can't help but get choked up when I hear students say the pledge or people sing the National Anthem or see men and women in uniform. (Especially when they are being reunited with their families after being overseas- that gets me everytime!)

What a great country!

3 comments:

  1. I get choked up over people in uniform too. And everytime I hear the National Anthem I get goose bumps :) Your BBQ sounded way yummy! I think we had the same lunch except we had burgers instead of steak, but everything else was the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So where did you plagiarize the fireworks picture from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I'm such a baby. And I took the fireworks picture in Hawaii. I'm glad it. Otherwise I would have just Google Imaged something.

    ReplyDelete