Saturday, August 25, 2012

Summer Magic

Part II- Food is half the fun.

I don't know what it is, but when on vacation the places we eat are some of the most memorable moments.  This trip was no exception.  We were given the awesome tip of the Yelp App.  Which made us try small, local places that we would never have known about. I loved it!
So here are a few pictures of yummy-ness and a lot of my Mr.  and my Lil Lady.
This Mexican restaurant looked like a grease joint, but the reviews were great and looks can be deceiving.  It was yummy.


One of my favorite finds was on our drive to San Francisco.  We wanted a sandwich shop and when we saw the outside of the Brighter Side we were hesitant.  But man alive, REALLY good sandwiches and fun ambiance.

In San Fran we had some Super Duper burgers.


I somehow didn't take any pictures of our stop at my favorite, Boudin's!  So, so, so, so yummy sourdough! And we met up with Whitney and her darling Evie. It was so fun to be there with her! I'm glad they could make it.

Sadly, not all food stops had a happy ending.  When we were driving down the Pacific Coast Highway we drove past a few cute little towns, but Laila was actually asleep and we weren't too hungry yet.  So we decided to keep driving.  Well, of course, when we were hungry and Laila was waking up, there was nothing for miles.  We drove hungry for so long that we said the next anything with food was where we were stopping. No matter what.  Fortunately for us we found this little darling little Whale Watching Cafe off the side of the road.  Unfortunately for us, despite the cuteness of the actual restaurant it was EXTREMELY overpriced and the food tasted like not completely heated up frozen food.  It was a major bummer.

The next bummer was in Ventura Beach.  Laila's expression told us everything, but we thought she was just being grumpy.  Again, the restaurant's interior was darling, but the food was ucky.  I thought my safe bet penne pesto pasta and chicken with a side salad would be at least edible.  But it was a bust.

Overall, we had LOTS of yummy food even if they weren't all documented.  I highly recommend Yelp when you are wanting to eat somewhere besides the usual places. This post is now making me hungry.  Guess it's Dinner Time!

5 comments:

  1. sometimes being adventurous really pays off, sometimes not, but what's the fun in always playing safe. cute jacket by the way. and of course wicked cute baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of Yelp. Do you like it better than Urbanspoon? I will have to give it a try...thanks for the tip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This food post is making me hungry and I just ate lunch so good job on finding great places. Jason and I found ourselves in a similar situation on the Pacific Coast highway, starving with no food stops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Mexican food and the burger look delicious! My kind of food. Yum. I will have to get that app cause I feel like we always eat at the same places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your trip looked so fun! It was great to see you guys and your little Laila is so precious and what a great traveler :) Lucky you ;)

    ReplyDelete