Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Value of a Shower


So...we are enjoying the extremely highs and lows of our new life. Our baby is a doll, but I'm finding that there is not much time in the busy sleep-eat-poop-repeat schedule to actually take a shower. Sunday, I actually got to take a shower AND blow dry AND style my hair AND put on make up all because Michael was there. Then Monday Michael woke up sick which means that Monday and Tuesday became quite comical trying to take a shower. I didn't mind being in my pjs all day. I didn't mind not having make up or not being able to do the dishes or anything else for that matter because I was able to snuggle/bounce walk my little lady around the house to keep her calm. All I wanted was a shower or even better, a BATH!
Well, Monday night after a bit of fussiness, I got Laila to sleep and I quickly started the bath water. I rapidly jumped in to soak in every wonderful moment only to discover the water was not hot! It was barely warm. I turned it all the way and still no hot water. The disappointment is very hard to describe, but I assure you it was extreme.

Tuesday was a bit of a rough day. Laila sleeps pretty well during the night. She wakes up every 3 hours to eat and is pretty good about going back to sleep. But the rest of the day, she was pretty fussy and grumpy. Michael came home sick from work and I was getting pretty frazzled/emotional from the combination of events. (Like I said, we have extreme highs and lows going on here.) There was a stint in the afternoon where she was asleep and I was going to get in the shower, but it was too hot to take a hot shower. I just rested and did some reading. Then it was evening time and after a few hormonal tears, all I wanted was a shower. Michael had a break, baby was semi-asleep, therefore, I dashed into the bathroom and started to get ready only to have the doorbell ring with some friends stopping by. Shower time= canceled!
Needless to say, by the end of the night, I was crying and laughing that all I wanted was a shower. What.A.Day.
Good news is that the sun rises on new days and I did get a shower today AND I dried my hair too. So it's funny how each day is so different and how looking back, I think what was the big deal? Why was I so emotional? Oh well. C'est la vie.

I just hope that I can keep this Little Lady happy and healthy even if I am a crazy person!

5 comments:

  1. I feel ya. I do. I do. I do. Those first weeks and months are so precious but you feel like a walking zombie. I still TREASURE showers, to this day, because it's still hard to find time to take one and it's my "me" time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of her! So beautiful :) Don't worry it changes drastically after 6 weeks. I just remember feeling so not on top of anything, which made me pretty embarrassed b/c I felt I usually had a handle on things. Thank goodness for husbands who don't mind and tell you that you're a good mom. Schedules will become more regular soon. I'm happy to see you have a good perspective on the whole thing, just laugh about it, and are just loving your sweet little lady. She's sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After almost 3 years of ALWAYS waiting until the kiddos are napping to shower, I have finally come to the point (realized) that I can shower while they are awake! Cian happily lays on the bathroom rug (as long as he is not tired or hungry) and I poke my head out occasionally to check on him (smile at him) and Brycen watches an episode of Curious George on Netflix. I have found that babies love the sound of water so maybe you can bring her in the bathroom with you and lay her in her bouncy seat while you shower? Good luck! You will get there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Showers are very important! Luckily Clark is still home with me so I can shower. Today he was gone so I put Henry in a bouncy seat and prayed he would stay asleep and I miraculously took a shower and put on mascara! Babies definitely have their own set of plans. It does feel like an endless cycle of feeding, changing diapers, getting them to sleep then doing it all over again :) Also, Im currently typing this with one hand, so if there are typos Im sorry. Laila is adorable

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone elses comments. I have also taken the boys and layed them on the rug, brought the bouncer or bumbo in while I take a shower. Tanner loves laying on the rug so I even lay him on it while I do my hair as well. Motherhood is definitely a juggling act. I have also developed a talent of typing with one hand at the office while I hold Tanner on my lap...did the same with Carter. Good Luck and enjoy every morsel of spare second of time you might find to enjoy a shower, do your hair, make-up, paint your nails, etc. Lately it is spending time even doing the dishes without Carter emptying the dishwasher while I quickly try and put dishes in or take them out. Oh the joys!!! Have fun...your little lady is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete