Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Slide Rock


A couple of weekends ago we went camping in Sedona, AZ. Camping in Arizona heat? Some of you may ask. Luckily, Sedona is a few hours north of Phoenix and higher elevation. Therefore, it was nice and breezy. We went with our friends, the Andersons, who are also doing an internship with Honeywell this summer. Michael and I got to use our fun camping gear that we got for our wedding. I always find that part of camping fun. And our campsites had NICE flush toilets and showers, so it was high quality camping. But it's starting to become a tradition that Michael has to have a bloody nose right at the beginning of the trip. (Sorry for the gore.)
Hawaii 2009:


Arizona 2009:



Sedona is a pretty ritzy town. It reminded me a lot of Park City. As you go up the canyon there is a fun little spot called Slide Rock. We got there at just the right time because a little after we got there the line to get into the state park went out onto the canyon road and they were only letting in a car if another car left the park. I guess we found ourselves a hot spot!
After a short hike, we got to the river. It was like going to the beach. You are there and think you have thought of everything that you need to bring. Then you look around and recognize those that REALLY know how to do it right by bringing things like a cabana, barbeque, hammocks, sports equipment, water toys for all ages, the works. Slide Rock is Arizona's beach. There were large groups and families that had the works. I'll admit, they were mostly Latino families. But they know how to do it right. We still had fun though. The rock in the river is really smooth and slick and makes a natural water slide. The water is FREEZING. I'm talking when you get out of the water you are actually warmer. But I'm glad I did it.

Everyone had to do a lot of convincing:




We didn't get hypothermia but we did get a few scraped bums and Michael got a nice fatty bruise on his elbow when he wiped out on the rocks like oh so many others did that day. It was a fun weekend and we are officially enjoying summer.

2 comments:

  1. Jen, I just saw on your facebook profile that you have a blog. Lucky you, I'm going to stalk you now. If you want to stalk me too send me your email address. :)

    Brittney (Israelsen) Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously dreamt about this place a long time ago (like in an actual dream), and I'm glad to know its actual existence.
    Ok, maybe I saw it on tv THEN dreamt about it, but I don't recall the tv show so I like to think that my subconscious conjured it up.

    ReplyDelete