Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The Netherlands

Just a quick turn around from Greece and we were off to the Netherlands the next weekend.  This was a work trip for Michael so we wanted to get as much done over the weekend together as possible.  This trip also started out with some high stress craziness.  We flew into the Netherlands with no problem, thankfully.  But in the morning when Michael went to go get the rental car he needed for work, he realized he left his driver's license in Romania so he wasn't able to rent the car.  That made figuring out how to get him to his site visits that were a couple hours away really interesting but thankfully it didn't ruin our stay!
We went into Amsterdam the first day and enjoyed seeing the canals, the bikes, the museums, and taking a boat tour.
Incredible architecture (and bikes) everywhere!

Laila got some new shoes- they are made out of wood! She loves dancing in them and I cannot wait to bring in some of the Christmas tradition of leaving the wood shoes out for St Nicholas.

We went to the Rijks Museum so that I could cross off some of my high school AP Art History class bucket list items. Totally worth it! 

Harrison loved finding the dogs ("Woof woofs") in the pictures.

Laila loved playing "I Spy" and finding the pretty dresses. Seriously, Dutch Artists and their lace is just incredible!

We loved seeing the city on our Canal Boat tour.  


Building with the black door is Anne Frank's house where she and her family hid. Unfortunately due to crazy lines, cold kids, and timing we didn't get to go through the house and museum this time.  I look forward to coming back and seeing it and the Corrie Ten Boom house as well.

You know with a name like that, you are going to have some good food. ;)  Their hot chocolate didn't disappoint!

If I were ever to rob a building, it would be this one.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE the beautiful blue and white Delftware! Don't worry, we purchased everything we got there...this time. ;)

Sunday morning, we were staying in the Hague and so we went to a local ward.  Loved seeing my crew walk to church like this....



It was a beautiful building and there were great speakers.  We were especially grateful for our headsets and our translator.  Laila felt so much peace just by being there, she just rested for the latter part of the meeting....



Sunday afternoon, we went out to Keukenhof and I will tell you right now- IT. IS. MAGICAL! I could fill all the memory of my camera (and almost did) just taking pictures of the gorgeous flowers.  Here are a few...







These two got to enjoy a yummy treat...

...and so did I! YUM!

I LOVED being there with these smiling faces!



Laila even got creative so she could remember how to say Keukenhof.  She put it to music, using the tune of her favorite song, "Shake it Off." Haha!




Even the view from the road is magical!

Seriously, there are so many more pictures I could post but I'm trying to contain myself. *sigh*

After Tulips we got some exercising done on the train back to the hotel. Haha!  Love their happy faces.

The next couple of days, Michael had meetings so I had to put my big girl pants on and explore The Hague with the two kids alone... or stay couped up in the hotel.  Our stir crazy kids helped me decide.  On Monday, we ventured to the Peace Palace.  Unfortunately, it was closed since it was Monday (as well as MANY museums and sites across Europe I'm learning)  But it was still beautiful and also special to be somewhere so powerful with my little peacemaker.  


We also enjoyed some nice lunch dates together.  Fun side note:  I saw the original of the painting in the background at this restaurant when we were in Vienna.  Totally cool!

We did have some nice relaxing time at the hotel too.

How cute is he?

After breakfast in the concierge lounge.  I melt when I see them hugging.

The next day, the kids and I enjoyed the picturesque city and found a fun playground to spend a few hours.  Then we ate outside at a charming cafe.  (Kids choice activity. Moms choice activity. Win win.)


Luckily, we also got to enjoy some time with Michael in the evenings too.  Our last night there we rented some bikes to be just like the Dutch.  It was so fun and we saw so much more than we could have by foot.  It was an incredible trip and a wonderful country!

Photo cred: Laila






3 comments:

  1. Too bad about Anne frank house. I didn't know you could visit Corrie ten booms too! And I love Laila :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember visiting Keukenhof gardens and Anne Frank's house as a 6 or 7 year old. I'm sure all the pictures we took helped. What wonderful things Laila will remember from your time in Europe! And Harrison will have all the pictures to help him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laila is a great photographer! Love your adventures and family.

    ReplyDelete